sections of the mock CAE oral interview between
myself, Beatriz and Claudia, a classmate. I have transcribed
my questions or instructions and Beatriz's answers as
appropriate. The answers of the other student participating,
Claudia, are also transcribed when appropriate.
Please tell me what you know about Claudia.
1. Beatriz: Well, she's right now working, she's been
living abroad quite, I
2. think, many years, I'm not sure about it. And she
likes travelling and
and she has ^ very good accent.
Teacher: Have you been studying English for a long time?
Beatriz: Yes, since I was three, at school
Tell me, what do you think you will be doing in two
5. Beatriz: Well, I hope I'll be in the beach because
it will be summer. And I
hope I'll be with some of my friends having fun.
this part of the interview, the candidates are to compare
and contrast two or more pictures and say how the people
might be feeling.
Beatriz: I can see in one of the pictures a man just
up in a boat so he
8. could feel free as if he were flying as a bird and
looking at the sea. And
in another one you can see a man just up in the mountain.
It seems as
10. he has just climbed it because there is no other
way to get up there. So
11. he must be just glad of himself as he could get
through this because the
12. mountain is quite difficult to climb. And he can
only see the clouds and
13. the ceiling and he might feel so free but not as
the other one (person)
14. because the other one, he seems flying while in
this one he feels glad of
15. himself, proud and very happy. The other one might
be a little bit
frightened because can fall in any minute but I don't
think he cares
17. because he's just going forward and looking at the
sun. In the
18. another one which is
is just in the ice, he
might be freezing. But, well,
he seems, he's just, I think he's walking around. Probably
he's one of
20. those person that like extreme sports.
Claudia has had her minute comparing and contrasting
pictures that show people taking a break, Beatriz was
asked to comment on who she thinks needs a break the
21. Beatriz: Oh, um..I have no doubt about that. Just
the man who is resting
22. from his work because he seems exhausted and depressed.
I don't think
he can manage his work so he's completely confused and
he can't think
about any other think about like different from his
this part the two candidates are discussing a set of
pictures of children and are asked to discuss together
what aspects of childhood the pictures show and then
decide on which would appeal to people most and how
many to include in a set of stamps to commemorate an
international children's day.
Beatriz: I really like the one on the bottom right corner
where's a little
26. girl with her mom's shoes, I guess, and shows the
innocencey of the
27. childhood and how little girls like to be as her
mom. So I think it would
28. be a good stamp to put in the collection. Do you
think the same about
Yes, I think it's a very nice picture and um
about this one? Perhaps could be the first one. When
a person is a child, it's like a baby
We could do a session of the pictures, starting with
this one and then, the one on the right and then we
can choose this one.
Beatriz: Yes, with the girl with the shoes just
the girl with the shoes
32. Beatriz: at the bottom
and then which one would you think would be better,
this one or the other one?
Beatriz: Well, I don't think the one in the Bea
the bears, just in the middle
In the middle, yes
it would be a good idea because,
I don't think
35. think about just little kids or maybe more older
they are still with the mother, yes
Beatriz: yeah, but what do you think about this one,
they are animals!
yes, yes, I think that's ok but they are not independent
at all so they are, they are keep with the mother but
I think they are bears, the bears
with their mother I think, more than two years or something
Beatriz:Umm, I don't know
38. Beatriz: But, I would rather just have pictures
about little kids
Claudia: Um u-huh,Yes, yes. And here, at the left part
at the bottom
ah.. there are children that are
learning in the kindergarten, could be, they are children
about four years do you think?
Beatriz: yeah probably. Because I don't think they can
they are start just looking pictures and learning the
40. Beatriz: Yes. And you can see how they are trying
to see the book with
41. the pictures so they are
they want to learn
and it shows how they are
which one do you think, this one or that one?
Beatriz: Well the one in the upper left bottom, I don't
really like it
I don't know
I don't think the
little kid's cute, or either the
you don't like this picture?
not at all
Beatriz: yes, but I don't think it can gets the people
because isn't cute,
48. or it doesn't show anything about the kid
you don't think so.
And what about this one? I think they are indigens?
yes, could be from south america, or some part of this
51. Beatriz: yes, and it shows how they can also, well
I think, how they can
52. also live in the forest and be happy-well what do
yes, perhaps, uh
they look very happy,
they are smiling and I think they are
uh..life, and uh
well this one in the
upper part? In the middle? I think it shows, uh
the childhood and everything, here. Every kind of children
any kind of nationality
So, what did you decide? How many stamps and which ones
are you going to include?
Beatriz: I think there were four, the one of the little
the girl with her mother's shoes
55. Beatriz: Then the picture just drawn, like cartoons
yes and the bears
56. Beatriz: Well, I didn't think about the bears, I
was thinking about the one
of the South African boys
Yes, the one in the middle? The lower part in the middle?
Do you think that an international children's day is
a good idea?
59. Beatriz: Well, I think it would be a good idea if
it really does ..do
does something. Because if it's just the day
and it doesn't get to
61. the kids because just older people know it, I don't
think it works.
If you were organizing a children's day, which age group
would it be for and how would you arrange it?
62. Beatriz: Well, I would probably choose kids around
ten years old
because they are old enough to understand what you are
64. but also they are young enough to change their look
at it, their view?
Because older one I don't think they would pay much
attention. Don't you think so?
Yes, I agree with you.
66. Beatriz: And how would you arrange it?
with children approximately ten years old?
what do you mean with
Beatriz: Well, what would you do with them to, like,
make them know it's
Well, its very difficult to
to describe it in
a few words, but, um
showing them some
special pictures and giving them some
to read or perhaps they can give you their own opinion
about what would they want.
70. Beatriz: Yeah, I like the idea of the discussion
would make them
71. discuss about the different points of view and also
I would try to get
some foreign kids to, like, get friends of each other
and to talk about
their countries and the differences between them.
Yes, yes, it's very important because I think it's an
international day, so we can choose children from different
countries and from different
of the world
74. Beatriz: Yes, because if not maybe you can tell
them the difference but
75. they don't really get them, well if they see the
kid and he's telling about
76. his life and how he saw Spain
really think about it.