Talk about these strategies with your partner.
For each one, say:
- Do you do this?
- Do you think it's a good idea? Why(not)?
1. Relax and don't panic!
2. Remember that you don't need to understand every
word - just try to listen for the most important
3. Prepare! If you know that you're going to
watch a film, attend a meeting or listen to a speech
or a radio programme in English, think about the subject
and related vocabulary first!
4. Predict!What sort of things might the person
talk What sort of vocabulary might they use?
about? What might they say next?
5. Guess! Try to guess from the context what
unknown word means or what the general subject of a
6. Anything else??