by Sarn Rich
plan - procedure
Establish contexts for dialogues. Raise interest. Form groups.
T-Ls 4 mins
Ls stand at table where cards stand, labelled 'office', 'kitchen',
2. Elicit what can be found at each place.
3. Ls listen and decide where the conversations are taking
place, and grab the labelled cards when the conversations
2 Writing words
Elicit words for use in stage 7.
L-L-L 3 mins
Ls form 3 groups, with whoever holds the cards.
2. Each group think of things they might find in that place,
and when the music starts, start writingone thing on each
piece of paper.
3. Ask how many they've written and collect them in.
3 Establishing aims
Establish aims of the lesson.
T-Ls 2 mins
Show appreciation of how many words the Ls have come out with,
and point out that they don't reallyneed to speak Spanish
as their English is so good.
Introduce 3 times when we've noticed their Spanish:
- When they're discussing a task
- When they don't know a word - When they're thinking
4 Language for discussing a task
T-Ls, L-L 6 mins
To agree, disagree, express indecision, ask for opinions.
Elicit one exponent of each and then ask Ls in pairs to list
any others they can think of.
2. Listen to 1st conversation again and tick any theyhear
which are on their lists.
3. Introduce others.
5 Short discussions
Controlled oral practice.
T-Ls, L-L-L 7 mins
Show Ls 2 objects and introduce 'useful' and 'useless'.
2. Give each group a bag of other objects for them to categorise
as 'useful' or 'useless' - using the exponents.
6 Language for paraphrasing
Introduce language. Reading
and controlled writing practice.
L-L-L 15 mins
Return to the 2nd conversation (listening). Ls identify which
of the 9 objects in front of them is mentioned. Elicit/give
the giveaway sentence:
'It's something to cover food'.
2. Reveal 8 other sentences and give out labels for Ls to
assign to the remaining objects. Reformulate 'it's something
to cover food' to 'it's something for covering food'.
3. HO sentences on sheet for Ls to reformulate, write up and
4. Pron. and drill.
7 Paraphrasing language game
Semi-controlled oral practice.
L-L-L 15 mins
Redistribute the Ls' words and play game to practise
language looked at so far.
8 Thinking noises and final phrases
L-L-L (Depending on time)
1. Play last conversation again for Ls to identify thinking
2. Game/speaking activity: Each group has a photocopied sheet
of objects, and must consider how to describe them, then ask
for the objects, using fillers and paraphrasing language,
of other Ls, who fetch the originals.
the lesson materials
to the articles index