Review of the year
quiz - how well do you remember the year 2001?
Questions about the year 2001 in no particular
order. Click on the globe at the end for the answers. Clearly
some questions will be more relevant to certain nationalities
- choose to suit. Use the opportunity to delve into the topics
in more detail & give more speaking practice, maybe preparing
how you might do this for when you discuss the answers.
Name the place & the tragedy that claimed the lives
of at least 30.000 people & now, being overtaken by
events, is just a vague memory?
2. What connects King Gyanendra of Nepal,
India`s `Bandit Queen` Phoolan Devi and Israeli tourism minister
3. What did 25 million people do during Maha
Kumbh Mela, the Great Festival of the Pitcher?
4. Name some computer viruses which hit this
5. Which two companies merged this year only
to find that one of the founding families wasn't happy?
6. Who won the Tour de France for the third
successive year in July 2001?
7. Which infamous drug went off-patent this year?
||8. Who was spying on who,
with result of a crash & a death?
9. Which wonder company went under & produced the biggest bankruptcy in American history?
10. Which government, led by which leader,
withdrew their support for an accorrd on global warming & an anti-ballistic missile treaty?
11. Choose the correct figures.
In 2001 AIDS killed:
a. 500.000 Africans
b. 1.000.000 Africans
c. 2.300.000 Africans
12. In 2001 AIDS:
a. was contracted by 2.000.000 people worldwide.
b. was contracted by 5.000.000 people worldwide.
c. was contracted by 750.000 people worldwide.
13. Now AIDS afflicts:
a. some 40.000.000 people worldwide.
b. some 4.000.000 people worldwide.
c. some 10.000.000 people worldwide.
14. Which country breathed a sigh of relief
when their leader didn't return from Japan? Who took over
15. And in Japan which charismatic leader
took the reins?
16. Whose Liberal Party won an unexpected
victory & in which country did the Action Party win an
|17. Who was finally captured & put on trial in the Hague?
18. Which two opposing countries joined the
World Trade Organisation?
19. Which company got off lightly, to such
an extent that it was seen as a victory?
20. Which leader was voted in again with
a majority & went on to become a roving war leader?
21. Which leader was voted in under a cloud
of scandal? (Which one wasn't!!)
22. Which mop top died & which said he
was ready to get married again?
23.Who was deemed "mentally unfit to
24. Who was the wizard of the year?
25. Which famous writer is serving a four-year
sentence for perjury and perverting the course of justice
in Wayland Prison in Norfolk?
|26. What disease led to
the slaughter of millions of animals?
27. What happened to the Buddhas of Bamian?
28. An anti-globalisation protester was killed
in which city?
||29. Who is back behind bars
in the UK after 36 years on the run?
30. Which hitchhiker
left behind a novel in his computer, soon to be published?
31. Where did TV journalists barricade themselves
in their studios in a dispute over the station's ownership?
32. Which city won the right to host the
2008 Olympic Games?
33. The former king of which country returned
to power through the ballot box?
|34. Which were the most
talked about buildings of the year?